US Immigration Law Firm in the UK Tel: +44 (0)845 230 8472
Home Contact Us

Can I Buy Permanent Residency Status? If So How Much Will It Cost?

 EB-5 – The Fast Track Route To Permanent Residency.

The answer to this question is yes – via the permanent investor visa (EB-5) which is for persons either investing in an on-going business and considerably expanding it, or for creators of new businesses or for Regional Center investors.
Many people who do not wish to go to the United States under a work visa, or have no close family in the United States and do not wish to train or study, but who have approximately $500,000 available to invest, opt for this visa option.
The attraction of a green card via an EB-5 investment visa is you have the flexibility to take any job, run any business or retire and live anywhere in the USA. As a resident you will have access to many of the benefits enjoyed by US citizens such as education and, in certain states such as Florida, you will enjoy substantial savings in property tax.
As noted above, there are two distinct types of permanent investor visa. One is as an investor in an orthodox business, either in order to create one or to expand an existing business. The other is as an investor in a Regional Center program that has been authorized by the U.S. Government. You may be thinking which is the better one to opt for? The answer to this is difficult to answer but from a strict immigration perspective the Regional Center investment is probably the better option. There are several reasons for this but the most prominent reason is the fact that because Regional Center programs are already pre-approved by the U.S. Government, it is easier to get an EB-5 approved via Regional Center investment.
What is a Regional Center?

A Regional Center is defined as an economic unit, public or private, which is involved with the promotion of economic growth, improved regional productivity, job creation, and increased domestic capital investment.
In more simple terms, a Regional Center is an area designated by the USCIS as eligible to receive immigrant investor capital.
What Am I Investing In

This varies from Regional Center to Regional Center. Many Regional centers develop commercial property (such as hotels, leisure complexes and other commercial property), others are more agricultural, others still are diverse such as movie studios and water purification projects.

How Much Do I Need To Invest?

Most Regional centers allow for a $500,000 investment (plus admin fees)
There are Several Regional Centers in the United States, Which Do I Choose?

There are almost 100 Regional Centers in the United States and naturally some are more profitable, have been established longer and are less risky. Our law firm has liaised with many of them in the past so we can certainly as part of our service to you, guide you towards the Regional Center that is most suitable for you or short-list a number of them for you.
We can also assist in setting up appointments with high level regional center representatives.

How and When Does The Regional Center Return The Investment Amount

Most Regional Centers will have a system whereby you can have your investment returned to you, obviously after you have secured full permanent resident immigration status.
This usually entails the sale of your share to other willing investors and hence recouping your investment amount.
Bearing in mind that the EB-5 regulations specifically state that your investment is subject to market forces and such factors as risk, it is our view that certain Regional Centers are much more stable than others. Also certain Regional Centers have more efficient get-out mechanisms (i.e. mechanisms that allow you to leave the investment scheme and have your investment funds returned to you as per their current market value). Often those Regional Centers are safer in terms of gaining a profit on your capital investment and avoiding loss of capital values. Again we can guide you on which Regional Centers have good get-out mechanisms and that seem to be safer in terms of capital. It is always advisable to consult a qualified finance professional such as a CPA or Financial Analyst  for some independent advice on the financial merits/demerits of a particular program. The law firm can refer you to such independent professionals.
Hence if you are serious about pursuing this route, please contact us immediately so that we can advise what needs to be done next.

Name Email
Contact Number
Code CAPTCHA Image redo
All fields are required.